No-Discharge Permit Section

Water Division

John Bailey, Permits Branch Manager - (501) 682-0629

Pursuant to the Arkansas Water and Air Pollution Control Act (Ark. Code Ann. §8-4-101 et. seq.), the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) has the power to issue permits “to prevent, control or abate pollution.” Therefore, any waste disposal system that does not discharge directly into the waters of the State must be operated under the terms and conditions of a No-Discharge Water Permit. The No-Discharge section issues two different types of permits for facilities located in the State, which are Individual Permits and General Permits.

In order to stay in compliance with the environmental regulation, visit the links below to learn about the various types of water no-discharge permit programs or contact ADEQ to obtain the correct permit for your facility. Failure to obtain the necessary permits may result in legal action, including injunctions and civil or criminal penalties.

Animal waste disposal, storage, land application, land farm, subsurface disposal, and underground injection control are managed through ADEQ’s No-Discharge permitting program.

All permits shall be issued by the Department in accordance with APC&EC Regulation 8.

Individual Permits

An individual permits is when one permit is issued for each application that is submitted. An individual permit allows the Department to put specific conditions on each application. Most individual permits take 4 to 6 months to issue after the application is deemed administratively complete.

General Permits

When the Department determines there are similar facilities that require the same type of permit for their operation, the ADEQ No-Discharge Section may issue a general permit. The Department will issue the general permit for the entire state of Arkansas and allow anyone to apply for coverage under the general permit. Facilities that are eligible for coverage under the general permit must submit the required information to ADEQ in order to operate under this permit. Operators who fail to submit a request for coverage under the general permit are not authorized to operate under that permit. Upon review of the permit application submitted to ADEQ, the Director may deny coverage under the general permit, and require the permittee to submit a permit application for an individual permit. The violation of any condition of a general permit constitutes a violation of Ark. Code Ann. § 8-4-217 and may subject the permittee to penalties and revocation of coverage under the general permit.


For more information, please contact:

No-Discharge Section, (501) 682-0648

Quick Links